Hollywood Is Changing: Are You Part of the Change?by David Brownstein
Are you living and working run by the fears and dysfunctional behavior that is both Hollywood cliché and at times Hollywood reality?
Are you living in, working in and creating an industry that tells great stories, inspires and entertains the world, AND supports a work environment that is humane and enjoyable?
Are you willing to walk away from jobs, people and projects that make your miserable? Are you willing to create a new way of working and leading creative companies that is profitable, powerful and sustainable?
You Are Not Alone
You are not alone in your desire to create such an industry.
You can be part of an authentic, healthy community of successful storytellers who enjoy the love, support and company of their friends and family while also making films, television, theater, music and any other medium currently known or unknown.
You don't have to suffer in silence.
You don't have to sell your self out.
You don't have to work till you drop.
Mary Oliver Said It
Mary Oliver said in her poem "Wild Geese"
"You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves."
I work with Hollywood professionals who are ready to make a change:
- In their career and creative work
- In their life and community
- In our industry and in our world
Change Is Good
And the change starts with us, individually, when we take responsibility for shifting our inner states.
- Choosing projects that we love
- Choosing to work with people we love
- Choosing to address audiences we love
- Listening to the voices in ourselves that we love.
- Choosing to act in accordance with the quiet, intuitive, strong voice rather than the loud, external, fear voice.
- Choosing to work in ways that are consistent with a world and industry we want to live in, not one in which we simply tolerate bad behavior because "that's just how it's done in Hollywood."
I'm not Naive
I know that bad behavior happens every day on every block and office building in town. But there is a growing community of people who're doing things differently. You may be the lone voice of sanity in your office or your production.
But the changes starts with recognizing who you are, recognizing who you want on your team or in your world and to creating a new Hollywood by choosing to work with people you love and trust and respect.
And The Screamers…
So let the screamers scream and let the fear-mongers monge.
- We create a new Hollywood by recognizing the parts of yourself you want to honor.
- We create a new Hollywood by picking your friends, collaborators, employees and bosses like you were picking people to join you in a lifeboat.
- We create a new Hollywood by separating your internal positive voices from your negative/fear voices and determine how to respond to them when they speak.
If you want support in doing things differently in your busy life, your creative career, your new or established company, your amazing creative projects or your personal creativity, I'm here to help.
And The Change Starts Like This
- Where are now and where do you want to be?
- What are you ready to create?
- Who do you want to be working with?
And As Usual…
What's your first tiny/giant step?